Monday, March 19, 2007

Progress on 'El Pueblo Mexicano'

Note: So far, I haven't shot the pictures I have really wanted to portray. I had to work during the day every day this weekend. I didn't go out until night time and even then I wasn't brave enough to venture out into El Pueblo. I did manage to go to a Cuban club in downtown Detroit. There were a lot of Latinos and a bit of what I wanted to show is seen through the pictures, but I have more pictures to shoot. Also, I would like make a note that I am considering editing the pictures, maybe even black & white. But I ask, would it take away the color (or life) of my Latincommunity that I'm trying to portray? Here goes nothing:


Living la Vida

A Spanish community can thrive anywhere and anyway. The language, the culture, and the heritage is passed on from generation to generation, constantly holding on to their roots. The Latin-American culture lives on in everyone's vida through the language, the religion, the music, and most especially, the dance.

Salsa, merengue, samba, and cumbia are a few of the leading dances that never dies in the Latin community. They all differ in styles but all make a room feel alive with energy and warmth as the warm-blooded people let the rhythm take control of their hands, hips, and feet.

This is just a rough-rough draft of what I want to portray. Dance is an important part to a latin community, but there's so much more I have to show. This weekend I am planning on going to El Pueblo Mexico with my Argentian and Chilean friends. Hopefully get behind-the-scene exclusive pictures to make my photo essay alive with the latin community. Any suggestions on what you would like to see?

No comments: