Tuesday, April 3, 2007

2nd Post: A Changing Opinion

For the longest time, I was completely opposed to making English the official language. I thought it was destroying the individuality of each culture through their native tongues. I felt it was like forcing immigrants at Ellis Island to "Americanize" their names. While a part of me still thinks this way, another part of me is seeing it through different eyes. As I read more on the topic at hand, the misconceptions that I had are slowly fading away. Passing the legislature to make English the official language of Michigan will affect all cultures, for better or for worse. As I research, I find that it's goal isn't to destroy ones roots, but to help them strive in this English-speaking culture. While I'm still researching, I'm learning more about this legislature that I never knew. I've found many reliable sources through ProQuest, but I still have a lot more to learn.

No comments: